Streptococcus anginosus Pyomyositis in a 50-Year-Old Man
"Streptococcus anginosus (Streptococcus milleri Group) Pyomyositis in a 50-Year-Old Man with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome:Case Report and Review of Literature"
Infection. 2010 Feb
Yassin M, Yadavalli GK, Alvarado N, Bonomo RA.
Division of Infectious Diseases, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals, Cleveland
We describe the first reported case of bacterial pyomyositis of the right thigh caused by Streptococcus anginosus (S. milleri group) in an HIV-infected patient. The clinical presentation was complicated by multiple ring-enhancing lesions detected on magnetic resonance imaging of the brain. Evaluation for central nervous system toxoplasmosis, syphilis, and cryptococcal infection was negative. Aggressive antibiotic therapy directed against S. anginosus and surgical debridement were limb salvaging. Clinicians should consider S. anginosus as a causative pathogen in HIV-associated pyomyositis, particularly in complex presentations. Prompt surgical drainage may minimize complications due to S. anginosus, a pathogen associated with significant sequelae due to its invasive nature.
- Division Chief Message
- Past Year in Review
- Penicillin sulfone inhibitors of class D beta-lactamases
- In vitro activity of penem-1 in combination with beta-lactams against blaKPC-possessing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates.
- Evaluation of an alcohol-based power sanitizing system
- Saline Nebulization before Gastric Lavage in the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Children and Adolescents
- Preserved MHC class II antigen processing in monocytes from HIV-infected individuals
- Acinetobacter baumannii-associated skin and soft tissue infections
- Streptococcus anginosus Pyomyositis in a 50-Year-Old Man with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
- Antibiotic resistance determinants in Acinetobacter spp and clinical outcomes
- Influenza-Induced Production of Interferon-Alpha is Defective in Geriatric Individuals
- Enhancing resistance to cephalosporins in class C beta-lactamases
- Three decades of beta-lactamase inhibitors
- In vitro activity of fosfomycin against blaKPC-containing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates
- Persistence of skin contamination & environmental shedding of Clostridium difficile
- Comparative description of haplotype structure and genetic diversity of MDR1
- Inhibition of the class C beta-lactamase from Acinetobacter spp.: insights into effective inhibitor design
- Inhibitor resistance in the KPC-2 beta-lactamase, a preeminent property of this class A beta-lactamase
- Increased tissue factor expression on circulating monocytes in chronic HIV infection
- The Fight Against TB
- Patient Care
- Fellowship Program