Acting Medical Internship
Acting Medical Internship is a 4 week program that offers intensive, inpatient experiences in internal medicine featuring primary patient care responsibility and direct reporting relationships with faculty and upper level residents in the Department of Medicine. Primary patient care responsibility includes interacting with patients and their families, writing patient notes and orders, helping direct management plans and having the opportunity to perform procedures as appropriate.
Students who completed an Acting Medical Internship in past years have considered it an invaluable experience. These students contributed not only their hard work, but also a great deal of enthusiasm and new ideas. In return, they were able to confirm and increase their confidence in their abilities as a physician. We feel strongly that an Acting Internship in Medicine will be an important part of your last year in Medical School, no matter what your future medical training plans may be.
- Become an integral member of an inpatient ward service
- Be the primary physician for up to six patients
- Admit patients with your resident
Acting Interns at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a resident and treat patients in an academic and tertiary care-oriented environment.
Acting Interns at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center will experience a great deal of autonomy in treating and caring for a complex population.
Both UH and the VA have a night float system and a q4 admission schedule (long, medium, short, no call)
- Long call admit 2 patients before 7 p.m., can leave at 9 p.m., must leave by 10:30 p.m.
- Medium call admit 1 patient before 4 p.m., can leave by 7 p.m., must leave by 9 p.m.
- Short call admit 1 patient before 1 p.m., no short call on weekends.
- Daily rounds led by residents and faculty
- Daily noon conferences
- Weekly Intern Morning Report
- Weekly Acting Intern Conference
- Education Overview
- Medical Student Programs
- Residency Program
- Fellowship Programs
- Grand Rounds
- Chief Resident Immersion Training
- Educational Awards
- Clinical Research Scholars Program